Note: This template environmental policy is intended as a starting point, to help you design a document that is appropriate for the particular context of your church.
We encourage you to amend and add to it as appropriate. If you have access to the Internet you will find other similar policies to look at.
Bear in mind the type of Church building that you have. If your Church is listed, you may need to include extra information that will not apply to other Church buildings.
The policy needs to be owned by the whole church community. We would encourage you to discuss the possible content of the policy as widely as possible within the church before agreeing the final wording.
(_________________)Church : Environmental Policy.
(___________) Church affirms that Christian mission includes caring for God’s Earth. We believe it is each of our responsibility to be stewards of Creation. As such we believe that we have a responsibility to care for the environment, for today and for future generations.
We, as a congregation, are challenged and encouraged to care for the earth by following sustainable practice and taking into account global and local environmental considerations.
Environmental Policy Objectives
Awareness and Commitment.
·Ensure that our Church and Church Centre activities comply with all relevant environmental regulations.
Energy and Water
· ensure energy is used efficiently and wherever possible reduce its use.
· encourage the increased use of renewable energy.
· use water efficiently and with care.
· avoid pollutants entering the drainage system.
· reduce the production of material waste including unnecessary packaging.
· encourage re-use, repair and recycling of materials including organic waste.
· dispose of waste in a safe and responsible way.
Materials and Resources
· buy products which are made in a sustainable way and to use locally-made goods where practicable.
· take into account the lifetime costs of materials when repairing, altering or rebuilding premises.
· maximise the proportion of paper used from sustainable sources and recycled materials.
· offer electronic communication as an alternative to paper for those who are suitably equipped.
· show concern for the environmental quality of food production systems and the equitable global distribution of food.
Natural and Built Environment
· take appropriate opportunities to conserve and enhance the natural and built environment around our church.
· be aware of local planning developments.
· be sensitive to the impact of church activities on the local environment.
· make every effort to reduce air pollution and energy consumption resulting from the use of the car by avoidance of unnecessary travel and the use of energy efficient vehicles.
· explore undertaking the work of the Church in ways which reduce the need for travel particularly by car and allow for the possibility of and encourage access by public transport, cycle and on foot.
· share car transport where possible.
· support the expansion of good quality public transport, the provision of improved facilities for cyclists and pedestrians and local Green Travel Programmes.
As a Church we will encourage all Users of our buildings to consider and put into practice where practically possible, the following:
· work to develop more sustainable lifestyles.
· take an active role in our town’s initiatives aimed at sustaining and renewing our local environment.
· conserve and use our church’s resources wisely.
· use the skills, creativity and enthusiasms of our own congregation in finding ways to reduce our environmental impact.
· look to achieve, and value, small changes, as well as the large.
Signed and dated. ________________________